Judith Karoline Mussel, AIA, LEED AP; Licensed Architect in California USA & Germany
Architect | Designer
A licensed Architect with twelve years of experience at professional architecture firms including Gehry Partners and Coop Himmelblau, with published articles and award recipient designs. Capable in all phases of project delivery: strong presentation and design skills, experienced in concept, schematic & design development in larger scale projects & construction documentation as well as construction administration in smaller scale/residential projects. Highly motivational leader and enthusiastic attitude towards the work with strong decision making skills. Collaboratively managing teams, staff and stakeholders. Architectural strengths include advanced facade and curtain wall design, excellent computer design skills, knowledge of green building technologies, design and project/client management. .
- Design of curtain wall of the Beekman Tower in New York City for Frank Gehry.
- Architect at Frank Gehry’s office for the IAC Building, NYC
- Senior Architect REX, Team & Client Management 450W33 Repositioning Project, NYC
- Facade Specialist for Coop Himmelblau, Mini Opera Pavilion, Munich
- Design of the form active glass roofs of the Museum of Tolerance, Jerusalem for Frank Gehry in collaboration with the German Structural Engineers Schlaich Bergerman & Partners.
- Design Architect for the Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum at Randall Stout’s office
- Expertise in façade and structural system design, 3D construction Modeling to ensure design integrity.
Architect | Visiting Professor at California College of the Arts
Principal at XP& Architecture |Façade System Consultant 2011-12
Advanced 3D Modeling in Digital Project and Rhino. Facade design with Grasshopper and other parametric software for several clients.
Zero Net Energy Urban Panning Emeryville, California (Assembly Design)
- Designed the façade with parametric software Grasshopper/Rhino
Larchmond Lotus, Los Angeles California.
- ·A 15,000 sq. f. sensor driven Shading System for the Larchmont Medical Center.
Mediazentrum, Vienna, Austria (The Next Enterprise)
- Façade design of the project in response to the sun path; used ParaCloud software.
Construction Architect | Façade Specialist 2009-10
Coop Himmelblau, Vienna, Austria + Los Angeles, CA
Pavilion 21, Mini Opera Space, Munich
- Construction Architect, worked with the General Contractor Frener & Reifer Metallbau GmbH Augsburg, Germany, to transform the innovative design to a build environment.
- Provided expertise in advanced 3D computer software on construction documentation, coordinated with the contractor to help facilitate construction.
Martin Luther Church in Hainburg
- Rationalized the geometry of the complex roof shape and employed Digital Project software for this process.
Randall Stout, Los Angeles, CA
Design Architect 2008
Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum at Michigan State University
- Museum Design Architect under the guidelines of Randall Stout. Created physical model, 3D model, drawings and graphics.
GUGA Design, Los Angeles, CA
Project Architect 2007-08
Townhomes in Santa Monica
- Created efficient solutions for three story condos by collaborating with the client.
- Coordinated with the contractor and presented the project to City of Santa Monica for approval.
- Oversaw the permit process and construction drawings for the project.
Shoestore Sawtelle Boulevard
- Oversaw the construction of the 4,000 sf. retail project. Managed skilled tradesmen and consultants; coordinated with site manager and RFI’s and Change Orders.
XP&A, Los Angeles, CA 2007-08
Founder and Principal-in-charge of a small Los Angeles based sustainable design practice.
Mini Spa: Bathroom remodel, West Los Angeles
- Project was featured in the Los Angeles Times 2011.
Águas de Março, Residence, Venice, California
- A passive sustainable residential project.
Larchmond Lotus, Los Angeles California.
- A 15,000 sq. f. sensor driven Shading System for the Larchmont Medical Center.
Associate | Designer
Gehry Partners, Los Angeles, CA 2001-06
Significant Projects include: Beekman Tower, 74-Story Mixed-Use High Rise in Manhattan, New York; 10-Story Office Building, New York; and Winnick Institute, Jerusalem, Israel.
Beekman Tower, NYC
- Created the design of curtain wall and floor plan layout of 74-story Beekman apartment tower in New York, after 100 such proposals were rejected. Despite exacting design demands, limited budget and construction constrains, successfully managed the process and a staff of 5, completing the project and beating the expectations of the client.
Museum of Tolerance, Jerusalem
- Designed 4 large glass roof structures for the Museum of Tolerance in Jerusalem to comply with regulations of the European structural engineers, and met the design approval of Frank Gehry. Used advanced technology to work out the system with engineers in detail and supervised the design. Personally recognized by Frank Gehry for contribution to the project’s success.
10-Story Office Building, New York
- Managed and organized the curtain wall design and team in concert with the contractors completing construction documents for a 158,540 sq. f. office building in NY. Solved complex geometry of curtain wall with 3D computer model and 2D detail drawings. Coordinated consultants: mechanical, structural, electrical and plumbing engineers.
NBBJ, Los Angeles, CA 1997-2001
CAD Management, construction drawings, coordinating consultants, 3D computer modeling, and representation drawings.
Eagles Stadium, Philadelphia – Design of roof structure and plan layout.
Staples Center, Los Angeles
Bengals Stadium, Cincinnati
Design Experience Prior to 1997
Eichinger oder Knechtl Architects; Artec; Coop Himmelblau Architects; Vienna, Austria – Designer, 1992-97
Stuchli Architects, Zurich, Switzerland, Designer, 1992
University of Applied Arts, Architecture Institute, Vienna, Austria, 1992-96
Studio Wolf Prix, Master of Architecture with Honor
Southern California Institute of Architecture, Los Angeles, 1993
Technical University Berlin, Germany, 1989-92
Bachelor of Architecture
Software and Digital Modeling: Expert level AutoCAD, Rhino, Digital Project, Catia V5, Grasshopper and Paracloud
Honors + Publications
(RE)Configured Ecologies Published at Tuvie, 2011
Featured Artist Prinz Eisenbeton, Vienna, 2010
Stuttgart Seed Exhibition , Expansion of the Technical University in Stuttgart, 2009
Ecohomes in Kansas Exhibition, 2009
Puma Event Los Angeles Exhibition, 2009
Winner of the USC Stevens “ Innovation Inside “ Grand, Wild Structures, USC, 2007
Automation of construction , Volume 13, Issue 2, A parametric strategy for free-form glass structures, 2003
The National Egyptian Museum, Cairo, Egypt, Architectural Competition, 2002
Winner of the Oregano Program of NBBJ, 1999
Winner of the Rudolf Schindler Scholarship, Los Angeles, 1996
American Institute of Architects Los Angeles Chapter
United States Green Building Council, member